Monday, February 1, 2010

What I purchased for germinating indoors?


I narrowed down into these things that I wanted to start:

a self watering germination system
seed starting soil or mix
seeds

Which plant germination system should I get?

I found a wonderful system and seemed that it could be reused over several seasons of planting. A self watering seed starter system by Lee Valley. They have two systems one is the window sill and the other one is a bit larger.

It is expensive at USD$21.50 for the larger system with 24 cells at 2 inches in width. In comparing to the typical toss away system, the reuse factor would probably save a bunch in a long run.

Why I really chose this is because I am sometimes forgetful with watering so that way there is still water before it is total dry 2-3 days of saving me from dying seeds =)

Or I could really make my own trays and things from around the house.

Which seed germinating soil to use?

For seed starting soil there are several factors I thought about

I want my garden to be organic so whatever I am going to pick out will be OMRI certified.
I also came across this germination mix awhile researching from
New Orleans Food and Farm Network

2 parts coconut coir
1 part perlite
1 part vermiculite

http://www.noffn.org/article.php?story=howto.seedstarting

Coconut coir is the bi product of coconut tree which is a renewable resource when it comes to planting. I am sure on your research you read about using peat moss, sawdust etc.

But why coconut coir wins out? It is 100% environmental friendly and has the best physical property to promote easy root growth and chemical property such as anti fungal that helps plant to get rid of soil borne disease, and also contain amount of potassium and phosphorous that plant loves. It has a high capacity for retaining water up to 8 times of its weight! It is porous for drainage and air which is good for plant growth.

Perlite is a volcanic mineral that is sterile and with a neutral pH. The surface of each particles are tiny closed cells and bubbles. They hold moisture and nutrients well for plant roots to absorb
.

Vermiculite is similar to perlite. It is a mineral in the mica family. It is sterile and free from disease and will not turn moldy and rot.

One great point made by the New Orleans Food and Farm Network is you don't want to use soil when you germinate ... because I wanted to get the Black Gold starting soil mix. I like the information on their page on how to start germination. I am going to use their recommendation on the homemade germination mix.

I also found those coco can plugs ... I want to try those. They are OMRI certified.

What
seeds did I purchase?

I purchased some organic seeds at Park Seed.

Item#Item DescriptionQtyPrice
5851Tomato MoneyMaker Organic11.95
5883Tomato Cherry Sweetie Organic12.50
5879Carrot Nantes Organic11.95
5119Baby Chinese Cabbage Wa Wa Tsai Hybrid11.95
5836Broccoli Belstar Hybrid Organic12.50
5940Corn Luscious Hybrid Organic12.95
5854Organic Pole Bean Blue Lake FM-111.95
5947Squash Garden Sun Hybrid Organic13.95


I also came across Botanical Interests ... a beautiful website. I am waiting for the organic scallions to be in stock before I go ahead and purchase more organic seeds from them.

I can't wait for them to come and start my germination.


No comments:

Post a Comment