Monday, February 1, 2010

where do i start?


If you are like me who wants to start planting food and looking at where to start. Let's do it together. I am a novice and we can share thoughts on growing food.

Growing food should not be complicated, but if you are starting you don't really know where to begin. I say some research would do some good.

First I found out where my growing zone or hardiness zone is by going to the

USDA Hardiness Zone Map

I am located in Santa Monica, California and my hardiness zone is 10.

What does that really mean?

A hardiness zone is a geographically-defined area in which a specific category of plant is capable of growing, by climatic conditions, including its ability to withstand the minimum temperatures of the zone. A plant that is described as hardy to zone 10 means that the plant can withstand a minimum temperature of -1°C. A more resilient plant that is hardy to zone 9 can tolerate a minimum temperature of -7°C.

So when you are look into what plant seeds to buy and plant you can ask if it will be perfect for your hardiness zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment